Feb 14, 2013

0 Mee Suah on the 1st Day of Chinese New Year

Long Life Brand
Mee suah for breakfast on the first day of Chinese New Year (CNY) has been a tradition for the Hokkien side of my family for generations.

In case you don't know, mee suah is noodle made from wheat flour. For the Chinese, it is usually served long and uncut as a symbol of longevity.

I always look forward to having this bowl of "long life" noodles which is specially cooked by my mother-in-law (mama). I get this warm tingly feeling with every slurp because I know a lot of love and laughter went into making this dish of soupy goodness.

And I am also reminded of faithfulness. Mama has been making this CNY dish for the clan for decades, never failing even when the year was tough! This fighting spirit is rarely seen these days.

Many of us have stopped carrying on a lot of traditional practices not so much out of disinterest but because it's mafan (trouble) to do and we're inclined towards "I, me, my, mine, myself".

I hope I don't fall into this modern time trap  because I love a life enriched with tradition and history ~ the lessons, the frequent gatherings, the camaraderie it invokes, the colourful decorations, the meaning that it brings to each one of us.  With tradition, it is always a ton of fun family activities. We learn something about one another, we bond, we create fond memories.

But enough with my personal thoughts already.

Here are some photos I took of our mee suah breakfast on the first day of the Snake Year. Oolala! ... or ular-la, as our local Chinese radio station has coined it. (Ular, meaning snake in Malay)

Mee Suah (Wheat flour noodles)
Herbal chicken soup with Wolfberries and Solomon's Seal Rhizome (Yuzhu)
Boil noodles in water separately for a couple of minutes. Discard water when done.
Serve cooked noodles with herbal chicken soup and add one boiled egg. Tadaaa...slurrp!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates